Bird of the year
“Sadly, many of New Zealand’s native birds are in crisis. Two thirds of our birds are threatened with extinction. Forest & Bird’s Bird of the Year celebrates our unique birds and with each vote you help give them a voice.”
And every year, I try to draw some more native birds, both to celebrate them, and to bring their plight to the attention of more people. Here at Copper Catkin HQ, we are surrounded by birds to the extent that we have even called our home “Te Rerenga Manu”, the flight of the birds.
Previous bird designs
A bird a (week-)day
I am using this list, sourced from DOC, to guide my choices, and to avoid the temptation to cherry-pick, I will be working in alphabetical order.
Most severely threatened, facing an immediate high risk of extinction:
- Antipodean wandering albatross/toroa
- Australasian bittern/matuku-hūrepo
- Chatham Island black robin
- Black stilt/kakī
- Black-billed gull/tarāpuka
- Chatham Island oystercatcher/tōrea tai
- Chatham Island shag
- Chatham Island tāiko
- Gibson’s wandering albatross/toroa
- Grey duck/pārera
- Haast tokoeka
- Kermadec white-faced storm petrel
- New Zealand fairy tern/tara iti
- Orange-fronted parakeet/kākāriki karaka
- Pacific white tern
- Pitt Island shag
- Rock wren/pīwauwau
- Salvin’s albatross/toroa
- Shore plover/tuturuatu
- South Georgian diving petrel
- Southern New Zealand dotterel/tūturiwhatu
- White heron/kōtuku
As a research resource, I will also be using NZ birds online.
I am very grateful for these resources, and of course, any errors or anatomical innacuracies are entirely mine.
An advent calendar of sorts
We are very much not a religious household, but this recognisable format is a good vehicle for the message that another advent is moving ominously closer – the extinction of many precious species, both here in Aotearoa and all over the world.
Tell me what to draw!
- the first bird in the next category, “Nationally Endangered (facing high risk of extinction in the short term)”, the Antipodes Island snipe
- the winner of Bird of the Year 2019